We are thrilled to announce that our remarkable refurbishment of a 200-year-old building in Liverpool City Centre has been shortlisted for the prestigious title of Development of the Year at the Insider Liverpool City Region Property Awards.
Chris Mellor, M&Y Construction Director, expressed his pride in this achievement, stating, “In an area of Liverpool where older buildings have been demolished, this development preserves a large Victorian building that will provide homes for the future.”
This £2.2 million development project witnessed the transformation of a disused building on London Road into 24 studio, one, and two-bedroom apartments. The new homes boast internal wall insulation on all external walls, upgraded glazing, and enhanced air-tightness performance to create efficient, modern living spaces. The building also retains many original features, including its large arched windows and small liver birds on the exterior—blending history with contemporary living.
The refurbishment of this building presented unique challenges. Located on a bustling high street, surrounded by commercial and residential units, with a commercial business operating beneath the apartments, we navigated access and delivery restrictions to successfully complete this ambitious project.
As a profit-for-purpose business, it’s crucial that we support the communities in which we operate. This development generated £1.2 million in social value activity for Liverpool City Region, including:
- Spending over half of the contract sum with local contractors.
- Facilitating a 6-week work placement for a student at Liverpool University.
- Participating in the Future Fest careers event organized by The Learning Foundry, where we engaged with young people and discussed career and apprenticeship opportunities available in the maintenance and construction sector.
- Donating £1,000 for tools and equipment to a construction training project.
- Our electrical supervisor volunteering 8 hours to carry out electrical compliance inspections at The Paper Cup project, a charity that supports rough sleepers in Liverpool.
- Two members of our staff volunteering 12 hours to attend a careers event at The Academy of St Nicholas school in Liverpool.
We eagerly await the awards ceremony in October 2023, where the winners will be announced. This recognition reaffirms our commitment to excellence and our dedication to creating sustainable, thriving communities through innovative development projects.